Workplace Trends 2021: Why Hybrid Model Is the Way Forward?

Start-ups can now adopt a model which allows a more efficient and inclusive workplace.


The Pandemic changed every aspect of the traditional workplace concept. Remote work has rapidly become the new norm as concerns for safety in the workplace and preventing the spread of the virus have become the top priorities for employers and employees alike. This has led many businesses, especially start-ups, to opt for a hybrid workplace model that combines elements of remote work and work from the office.

While the pandemic eliminated the need to commute long distances, it brought to the forefront a sense of claustrophobia in employees. This in turn has shown to severely affect the overall morale of the workforce.

Looking at the preferences for remote working versus that of office work, employers and employees alike are opting for remote work simply due to the safety issues involved in working on-site. The remote working model may not be ideal for every company, but it was necessary nonetheless. So much so, that around 75 per cent of companies in India are looking to permanently switch to remote work even after the pandemic dies down.

On the other hand, since remote work is not possible across the board, and with each industry having individual needs, the hybrid model presents itself as a feasible solution.  The hybrid model is a combination of remote work, in-office-work, and semi-remote work. The model is gaining popularity for a number of reasons.

For one, it empowers employees with a greater degree of flexibility and autonomy in terms of where they want to work and how they want to engage with work-life depending on their own need for safety and convenience. This also works to the business’s benefit as it still has elements that help the work process adhere to the safety concerns one might have, while also fulfilling the need for a physical presence of a minimum number of employees to get the job done where physical attendance is required. Data suggests that around 48 per cent want to stay home while the other 52 per cent want to go to the office. A good indicator that the hybrid model will work if implemented.

Impact Of The Model

In terms of impact, the hybrid model has many benefits for business owners, especially entrepreneurs. The most obvious benefit is cost saving as office maintenance fees drop drastically. Employees also benefit as they don’t need to spend on commuting every day.

The most significant impact that the hybrid model will have however is the change in work culture and an increase in efficiency. With the rise of this new model comes the breaking down of hierarchical barriers, which leads to more transparent communication between employees and employers. All these factors make the hybrid model the ideal method for start-ups to follow in 2021 and beyond.

Kiran Kennedy
Kiran Kennedy
Kiran was former staff at Dutch Uncles. He writes on entrepreneurship, business life cycle, small businesses and Indian startups.

YOUR VIEW MATTERS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed by columnists are their own, not those of Dutch Uncles

If you wish to contribute or have a story suggestion,
email to [email protected]

ALSO READ

Takeaways for Start-ups: PM Modi’s Keynote Address...

Vivatech, one of the largest digital and start-up events...

Farmer Empowerment by Agri-Tech Start-Up Rise Hydroponics

Rise Hydroponics is an Agri-tech start-up based in Ahmedabad....

5 Learnings from D2C Beauty Startup Pilgrim

The pandemic has put several startups at a precarious...

stay abreast!

Never miss key developments & updates from your industry